Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Art thoughts.

Why do I like half finished art work?

Or, rather;

Why do I like half finishing art work?

I am sitting here in the computer/painting/writing/music room, staring at an incomplete painting, and rather enjoying the openess of it. I mean, yeah, it really could use some detailing in the foliage, or some more water effects. But truly, if I wasn't painting it for someone else, I would leave it as is.

It's the same way with songs I write. I usually get about a verse, or less done lyrically, and choose to leave it unfinished.

I have about 350 pages of a novel written too...

I guess to me, when I cement something into completeness, it is dead. I can no longer play with it, or wonder what it may become. It just becomes what it is. However, in the raw, unfinished state, my artworks seem limitless, and alive. I can play with it endlessly, never having to make it conform to anything.
My joy comes from the creative proccess, not from the finished product to show off. In fact, most of my music, and drawings I just tuck away for myself somewhere.

Does this make any sense to anyone out there, or am I just REALLY crazy?

3 Comments:

At 25/8/04 12:13 AM, Blogger Anathematized1 said...

I understand you man. But this had damned well better not get in the way of our band or I shall have to cleave thee in twine.

 
At 25/8/04 6:31 AM, Blogger Bou said...

It makes sense, but not having any artistic capabilities AT ALL I can honestly say it has never happened to me. (I do quilt, but for me it's not an art. I follow a pattern and have to have someone help me pick out the fabric.) I'm so left brained and very task oriented. I have a damn checklist with me every day, checking off things I do as I go. Laundry? check Quilt top? check Make Beds? check. I'm a dork.

 
At 25/8/04 7:03 AM, Blogger Contagion said...

It makes sense to me, I'm not artistic. In fact I'm so not artistic I suck the talent from other people around me. However, when I was a kid and I would play with legos, when I would finish building something I was happy for about 20 minutes. Then I would start improvising new "upgrades" to them. after about a week it would look nothing like what it orriginally started out as, and I would get bored with it, because there was nothing else I could add to it. So I would take it apart and build something new.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home