Monday, July 19, 2004

Heavy Metal is getting good again.

I am not usually a fan of thrash metal, I used to be when I was younger, but that was before I figured out how to play the guitar. I discovered the simplicity of their music, and stopped appreciating it.
 
I have discovered with great surprise, that I like a band called Slipknot. I have known about them for years, having worked with teenagers...(which incidently led to my appreciating rap music). I just never gave them much thought.
 
On their newest CD "The Subliminal Verses" there is a song that absolutely blows me away. I get the old adrenaline rush and everything. "Duality", is one of the best songs I have heard in recent years. Well structured, technically challenging, yet sounding simple to the casual listener. Lyrically it is very interesting to analyze the deeper meanings of the lines:
"(I push my fingers into my) Eyes, 'cause it's the only thing that slowly stops, The Ache, but it's made of all the things I have to, Take, Jesus it never ends it works it's way inside."
 
Now I know that on the surface it seems kind of juvenile, and shallow. In context with the rest of the lyrics however, it tells a story of hurt, and betrayal. Then of the ultimaterealization that getting what you want doesn't always lead to what you dreamed.
 
Great song, skilled band, a new favorite.

2 Comments:

At 19/7/04 1:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally I think Slipknot sucks. Just musically - I've never cared to listen to them close enough to figure out the lyrics. If a band sucks musically, the lyrics could be the 21st century Shakespeare and I won't care.

That said, I also believe that heavy metal is a highly misunderstood and underrated genre of music.
Unlike pop artists, heavy metal artists are willing to explore feelings other than the happy-shiny stuff that will sell well on top 40 stations.

I still consider the ...And Justice for All album by Metallica to be one of those most meaningful collections of songs released by an artist.

Songs like Prayer by Disturbed, where it's almost heartbreaking to hear the frustration and anger in a conversation with God after yet another person close to him is ripped away.

Or like Pain by Stereomud, a song about suffering in a fucked up codependant relationship.

Yes, there are the bands that play hate music and death music, but they are by far in the minority.

-S

 
At 19/7/04 9:04 AM, Blogger That 1 Guy said...

I've liked Slipknot since I first saw them at an Ozzfest, I think it was '99. They were unreal! They've played music that always gets you fired up. But this last album is a little different from the other two. First time I heard it, I was a little upset. I didn't feel it was aggressive enough. After a couple more listenings, I realized that this is a great album! They go places, musically, that they never went before. And "Duality" gives me goosebumps everytime I hear it! Great post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home